Wednesday, January 3, 2007

The power of procrastination

Here I am, on HBS deadline day, creating a blog like I've got nothing better to do.

I need a break, I need some distance from my essays, and ...

OK, let me give you a bit more on who I am. I'm a simple guy from Holland, 27 years of age, 5 years of experience in the corporate world, 760 GMAT, with a dream to get an MBA from a top US business school.

Why an MBA? Because I believe it gives you knowledge that can be valuable to excel in business. I don't believe an MBA (or anything else for that matter) is a guarantee to success, but it sure wouldn't hurt. That, and it opens doors like nothing else.

Why a top US b-school? Because I believe the US is still of primary importance in the global business world, underlined by the fact that that's where the top b-schools are. Globalization is sure to bring an end to America's dominance some day, but right now that's still the way things are.

I'm applying to the following schools, in order of preference:
1. Stanford - strongest links to Silicon Valley (I have an IT background), most selective school to get into, and unbeatable weather
2. HBS - this should perhaps be number 1, simply because it's HBS. I don't care whether they are ivory tower, whether the administration is unresponsive, whether the faculty stinks -- nothing says MBA like Harvard, period.
3. Wharton - strongest global brand after Harvard/Stanford
4. Kellogg - top-ranked by most publications (what's up with the Financial Times??), student-run, and just seems like a friendly place

I have no idea what my chances are. On the plus side, I've got a strong leadership resume, rapid career progression, strong international experience, my GMAT score is up to snuff, and last but not least, my Dutch nationality could make me a diversity admit. On the down side, I've got no community service or extracurriculars to speak of, my undergrad grades do not show excellence, and while I've done some interesting stuff, I haven't cured cancer or solved world hunger, which seems to be the caliber that these schools look for.

I'm working with an admission consultant (you know, the ones with the wiki) and I think they're fantastic, and no, I do not feel they give people an unfair advantage. This competitive admissions stuff is just so alien to me and, I imagine, to many other people who do not live in a country filled with prestige-driven private universities. The consultants do charge an arm and a leg, but hey, what's $300 per hour (rush rate) if it helps you earn $250k+ three years after graduation...

We'll see whether it's money wasted, but if I get dinged by all these schools, at least I can say I tried and spared no effort or money in my pursuit..

Alright, there you have it, I started a blog.

Now back to my HBS essays. Those damned essays...

No comments: