Monday, August 20, 2007

Bring it on!

Flight into Chicago - check.
Getting through immigration - check.
Finding apartment - check.
Spending spree at IKEA / Wal-Mart - check.
Making apartment livable - check.
Tell utilities, bank, Kellogg I'm here - check.
Getting some rest - check.

I'm as ready as I can be. Let the games begin.

In one week, most incoming students are going on KWEST trips to various exotic places, and I'm going to Argentina, for a bit of skiing, ranching, salsa and steak eating. Hmm...

Before that, I've been invited to a pre-recruiting event from one of the major investment banks. Again, I am humbled to even be considered, but I guess that 1) I should get used to it, and 2) an invitation to a recruiting event is far from a job offer.

Another blogger (forgive me, I forgot who it was) likened the recruiting events to the b-school MBA fairs. At these outreach events the prestigious b-schools and employers are all warm and cuddly, trying to convince you that you should really join their family, but once you actually try to get in you have to jump through a thousand hoops to even be considered.

But I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Whenever I start to worry about how I will stand up against my fellow Kelloggians and whether I will come out on top in the 'fight' for the most prestigious jobs, I remind myself of the most heard response from current students at Day at Kellogg to job-related concerns from incoming students. "Don't worry," they said. "Everyone gets a job."

Perhaps it's not something I should be worrying about before b-school has even started, but I do hope they're right.

No comments: